The reasons for the need to change this law are enumerated below:
- To establish a university in the Maldives that will deliver Islamic higher education, and to establish the procedures and guidelines for its operation.
- To develop Maldivian citizens who have received the necessary education and training to be civilised, responsible, unified and united, in order to contribute to the protection and maintenance of, and to national development and awareness of, the Maldivian Islamic education and culture within the boundaries of religious unity and unity of the nation.
- To strive to work within an Islamic perspective in order to reach a developed status and to maintain it for the citizens and the nation.
- To pursue ways in which to advance and develop in Islamic science and other disciplines.
- To work towards developing creative and capable graduates of the University who will work towards building the nation and the Islamic community.